Polyester is one of the world’s most popular synthetic polymer materials, demonstrating a wide variety of advantages over other industrial fibers. When considering the many benefits that polyester offers, know that we have the people and the technology to optimize your success and can answer any questions you may have regarding industrial polyester choices.
- High tensile strength
- High elastic modulus
- Low moisture absorption (except during extrusion processing)
- Low shrinkage compared to other industrial fibers
- Good dimensional stability (retains its shape)
- Highly durable/excellent wear
- Wrinkle and shrink-resistant
- Excellent mechanical, electrical, thermal and flow properties
- Good mildew resistance
- Good chemical resistance – repels oils, greases and alcohol
- High environmental stress crack resistance
- Good heat and heat aging resistance
- Good color stability
- Good moldability
- Easy to clean
- Can improve acoustics (in applications like automotive)
- Completely recyclable (PET)
- Lack of breathability
- Lack of moisture absorption
- Flammability (melts easier than other materials)
- Holds a static charge
- Holds odors
- Lack of hydrolytic stability during processing
Polyester is considered a multipurpose material due to its versatility and desirable properties. In the apparel industry, polyester has long been used for making shirts, pants, jackets, suits, hosiery, sportswear and bags. Because polyester is so durable and stain-resistant, it is an outstanding choice for furniture upholstery and carpeting. Americhem also supports the pharmaceutical, nutraceutical and beverage industries with custom polyester products designed to protect sensitive contents. Our high-tensile polyester materials are among the predominant fibers used by automotive manufacturers to produce interior trim, seat belts, seat covers and carpets.
Below are some of the most common polyester applications of which Americhem can help you meet your functional, aesthetic and cost targets.
Americhem’s polyesters may be blended with supplemental plastics, carbon fibers, glass fibers, lubricant additives, UV and AO stabilizers, flame retardants, antimicrobials, custom color resins and other polyester additives to enhance their mechanical properties and improve certain aspects of their performance and processability.
Recycled PET offers manufacturers a sustainable way to use material scraps and help meet their climate targets. The problem is that recycled PET often has a yellowish tint that hurts the appearance of the end product. For products like plastic bottles that need to look clean and clear to meet consumers’ expectations, any color change during recycling is unacceptable.
Our PET Renewal Additive allows recycled PET to be restored to its natural virgin PET appearance, making recycled water bottles and food packaging more enticing. So go ahead and start increasing the amount of recycled content in your product without sacrificing packaging quality.
Contact us to learn more about our PET Renewal Additive.